top of page

'Tis the Season: 19 Tips to a Fur Baby safe Chistmas!



The holiday season is a time of joy and celebration, but amidst the merriment, it's crucial to be aware of potential hazards that could pose a risk to our beloved pets. From festive decorations to indulgent foods, the holidays bring with them a variety of dangers for our furry friends. Let's explore a comprehensive list of potential holiday pet hazards and gain valuable tips to ensure the well-being of our pets throughout this festive season.


Fur Baby Tyson and Christmas dinner

1.    Fatty Foods

 

Indulging in rich, fatty foods is a common holiday tradition for many, but it's important to resist sharing these treats with our pets. Veterinarians, warn that such foods can lead to pancreatitis in dogs, causing painful inflammation of the pancreas with symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea.

 

2.     Chocolate

 

While we savor sweet treats during the holidays, it's crucial to keep chocolate away from pets. Veterinarians emphasizes that chocolate is toxic to both dogs and cats, potentially causing symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, muscle tremors, seizures, and even heart failure.

 

3.     Grapes and Raisins

 

Whether part of a fruit plate or a fruitcake, grapes and raisins should never be accessible to pets. Veterinarians warn that these can be toxic to dogs, leading to acute kidney failure.

 

4.     Sugar-Free Candies & Pastries

Veterinarians highlight the danger of sugar-free pastries and candies containing xylitol. In dogs, xylitol can cause low blood sugar levels and liver failure.




5.     Onions and Garlic

 

On the savory side, onions and garlic can affect red blood cells and cause anemia when consumed excessively. Cats are especially susceptible to onion and garlic toxicity.

 

6.     Meat Bones

 

While dogs may enjoy chewing on bones, cooked meat bones can splinter, causing blockages or lacerations. We recommend avoiding giving pets leftover turkey or chicken bones.

 

7.     Alcohol

 

Veterinarians strongly advise against giving pets alcohol, as it depresses the nervous system and can lead to dangerous conditions like low blood pressure, body temperature, and blood sugar levels.

 


8.     Holiday Plants

 

Poinsettias can cause mild oral irritation and gastrointestinal distress. Lilies, especially dangerous to cats, can lead to kidney failure even in tiny amounts.

 

9.     Candles

 

While lighting candles adds ambiance, it's crucial to keep pets away from open flames. Curious cats and dogs may inadvertently get too close, risking burns or even setting their tails on fire.

 

10.  Christmas Trees

 

Whether real or fake, Christmas trees pose a new and exciting adventure for pets. We suggest securing the tree and creating barriers to deter climbing. Ensure pets don't drink water from the tree's reservoir, especially if it contains fertilizer.

 

11.  Ornaments & Decorations


Glass ornaments can break and cause injuries if ingested. Snow globes and bubble-shaped lights may contain poisonous chemicals.

 

12.  Tinsel, String and Ribbon

 

Tinsel poses a severe danger, capable of cutting through a pet's digestive tract. Strings and ribbons can cause similar problems and should be kept out of reach.

 

13.  Electrical Cord

 

Electrical cords present a hazard, especially during the holiday season with increased decorations. Chewed cords can cause oral burns, seizures, and even death.

 

14.  Houseguests

 

Guests' belongings, including purses, may contain harmful items. Keeping bags out of reach and ensuring collars and microchips are in place in case pets get loose.

 

15.  Heaters and Warming Devices


Heating devices can be troublesome if knocked over or tampered with by pets. Many warn against using kerosene heaters indoors due to potential carbon monoxide risks.

 

16.  Fireplaces

 

Fire logs, although not poisonous, can cause obstructions if chewed. We recommend cleaning ashes promptly to avoid burns if ingested.

 

17.  Cleaning Supplies

 

Chemicals in cleaning supplies, even in "natural" products, can cause stomach irritation, keep pets away until cleaned surfaces are dry.

 

18.  Rock Salt

 

Rock salt used for de-icing can cause stomach upset or electrolyte problems if swallowed. Protect pets' paws with boots or wash their feet thoroughly after walks.

 

19.  Antifreeze

 

Antifreeze spills pose a severe threat, causing kidney failure and death. Veterinarians emphasize the importance of cleaning spills thoroughly and seeking veterinary attention if ingestion is suspected.

 

As we immerse ourselves in the festivities, let's prioritize the safety of our furry companions. By staying vigilant and taking precautions, we can ensure that the holiday season remains joyful for all of us and our pets. From all of us at Fur Babies have a happyand safe holliday?


USE THE CODE - SANTA15 AT CHECKOUT TO GET 15% OFF YOUR PURCHASE UNTIL JANUARY 1, 2024



Comments


bottom of page